Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you see this story? Feb. 10 issue of Ag Alert, California edition.

"Almond growers in the nothern San Juaquin valley are experimenting on an increasing scale with a new self-fertile variety that could significantly reduce costs for both pollination and harvest."

Says Dennis Tarry, CEO of Dave Wilson Nursery in Modesto, "In our trials we have determined you could go with half the hives. We recommend one hive per acre."

According to the article, "It is possible to set a crop with no hives at all, but experience has shown that one hive per acre more than pays for itself in increased yield."

Wow. How will this affect the cross-country bee truckers who come to CA every January for almonds if this becomes more widespread?

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
I read in the jornal a large grower has reduced his hive to 1.8 hives per acre.

>>"It is possible to set a crop with no hives at all, but experience has shown that one hive per acre more than pays for itself in increased yield."

basically are they saying they have a tree that needs half of the pollination requirements?
If they are saying here it will grow a crop on no pollination, but one hive pays for its usage, would two hives also prove to be feasable?
And if so, has the game really changed much?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I haven't seen the article yet as I usually read ag alert at my dad's house and I haven't crossed the street in a while.:)
There are already self-fertile almonds out there. I have three that are self-fertile. They can be grown on any peach rootstock and peaches are somewhat self fertile so it follows that almonds could potentially also be self fertile. The best varieties, though, still require bees.
They will eventually develop trees that don't need bees but for now an almond tree is an almond tree... Bees make it better. I know my self-fertile peaches have sure put out bumper crops in the last few years.:thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts