Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been alot of talk about re orientating the bee's after you catch a swarm and bring it back to the bee yard , what are the options , I don't like the idea of closing them up for a couple days is it necessary or is there another way .

·
Registered
635 Posts
The idea is to get the bees to realize they are in a new place and reorient themselves so they can find their way back. If this isn't done, the bees can be confused and try to return to their old location. Last year i moved a hive about 60 yards and did nothing more than lean some maple branches against the hive so they had to work through the leaves to get out of the hive. at the end of that day, i found a couple hundred beesa t the old location, so i scooped them up and dumped them in the hive and closed it for the night. The next evening i found a couple dozen bees hovering about the old location, and i just let them be. So, with onoly one hive, the information is certainly not fact, but it seems like the old time wisdom of "putting a branch in front of the hive" has worked for me.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Not sure of your question,But if they was caught right after they swarmed,or have not yet started building up,(as in a swarm box).
Then I've never had a problem sitting them up in my bee yard.
Afew may stray back to the original hive,But not enough to be a problem.
Mark,,,,

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
822 Posts
I have caught my own swarms and placed the new hive right next to the old hie with no problems. They have "setting up house" on their minds.

If you are moving a swarm catch box or hive, as said put a branch or some grass at the entrance so they will know something is different and re-orientate to the new location. Yes you will have some confused bees but they will find a new home in short order.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Sometimes I will put a screen on the entrance over night or add a frame of brood along with some drawn comb, they will usually stay then.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would a colony caught in a swarm trap be any different to orientate or can you just bring them back to your own yard after you have given them a few days and there bringing in pollen .

·
Registered
357 Posts
Last year I caught a swarm in one of my swarm traps (1.5 story nuc) and all I did was bring it home opened up the screen then sat it on a stand. If you mess with them too much then they may try to leave or give you some other trouble.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Put the queen in a cage attached to the middle frame. They wont' leave her behind. Better if there is some brood around too. Also, as stated, grass or limb at entrance.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have moved bees short distances twice now and have never shut them in for days. Each time I stuffed the entrance with grass and put some branches in the way. This causes them to reorient as well. As a just in case measure I put a box at the old location to catch any that return there by mistake. You can then just walk them into the hive in the evening.

·
Registered
887 Posts
after I catch a swarm....I move them to the bee yard and do them the same as I do my splits.....I stuff the entrance with grass and then lean a top cover in front of the opening to the hive so they have to crawl around it to start their flight....after about 3 days I remove the cover and they are fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts