Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what actions other beekeepers take after they perform a cut-out from a structure.
I put the bees in a small yard I keep for removals and swarms-a mini-hospital clinic as it were. Then I put a entrance restricter in place, and feed them 50% sugar to help them wax together the comb banded in frames. I also add an internal hive beetle trap. In 4 or 5 days I removed the solid bottom board so they have a fully screened bottom. I'll cut away rubber bands if comb has been waxed in. Then I fog them with FGMO after I put on the strings (I found that using the strings is the key to making the system work). After a second week, and another fogging, I check to see if the varroa and hive beetles are in control and I move them to a regular beeyard if they pass. If not, I continue to treat. If the hive does not thrive, they become merger candidates. If they are healthy, with a weak hive. If not healthy, with another swarm or cut-out.
What do you folks do?

·
Registered
309 Posts
First I let them sit for a few days. I'll add a box of my own comb on to them. Top or bottom just depends. Then I'll check them for a queen after awhile. I'll add a queen cell if she's absent. If there is a queen i'll exclude her into my own box. after awhile I'll throw out there original comb because it is almost always cross framed and burred. If they became weak i'll add brood. Alot of the cutouts I do are africanized and the majority will abscond so brood is almost a must. If I can get the majority to stay then the cutout is a success .

1 - 2 of 2 Posts