Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I split a hive last Saturday. I had planned on letting the hive make their own queen, but decided to order one. She will be here tomorrow.
Did I wait too long?
Is it okay to put in a new queen in her cage 4 days after a split? Four days after they've been queenless?

Will they have already started making a new queen by now and if so, will they accept the new one?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Just be sure to remove EVERY single queen cell they've began pulling, and you'll be fine. Miss one, and the caged queen has no chance.

Shake the bees off the frames as you search for the queen cells, always a smaller one they manage to hide from you if you don't.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just be sure to remove EVERY single queen cell they've began pulling, and you'll be fine. Miss one, and the caged queen has no chance.

Shake the bees off the frames as you search for the queen cells, always a smaller one they manage to hide from you if you don't.
So....they will not accept the new queen if they have already started making their new one? Even though the caged queen is ready to bred and then to start laying, they would kill her and raise their own?

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Not knowing what you have for resources; is it just easier to make a new split and reunite the earlier split?

The other way to get there from here.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
So....they will not accept the new queen if they have already started making their new one? Even though the caged queen is ready to bred and then to start laying, they would kill her and raise their own?
That is the outcome I would expect.

At 4 days out you should have some cells just about ready to cap but the bees could have available some larvae still of the age to be raised with questionable queen properties. Cell construction on them would be small yet and easily missed. Wait another 3 days, do a search and destroy to be sure they are hopelessly queenless then introduce the new queen.

Caste queens with some queen properties can be raised till 5 days from the egg larvae. Good for nothing but possibly enough to cause new queen rejection.
Small cells can easily hide in nooks and crannies.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My new queen did not arrive until today (Thursday). So, now it will be 6 days tomorrow since I split the hive. From what everyone has said, unless I can find and destroy every single queen cell in the hive, they will kill the caged queen. Chances are I would not be able to find all the queen cells, and would miss a small one. To add to the problem, the weather here tomorrow night is going to be 32º. The high on Sat will only be about 50º, with Sat night back down to high 30s. Sunday might be around 65º.

So, what is the best course of action?
I did a Taranov split, so the most of the bees that went with the queen were the youngest bees that had never been out of the hive.
The older bees went back to the original hive.
So I can't split the original hive (the one that is queenless) because most of those bees would simply fly back to their old hive right?

Will the cages queen be okay until Sunday?

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Sat at 50 is fine. When did the queen ship? Give a little syrup/ water drop on the cage. Go slow. 32 is fine as well but they probably will not welcome visitors. I think you would do fine finding all cells if you shake off all the bees.

To make less of a job of it move frames back to the mother hive leaving just a couple that are well capped and well inspected. You can take the frame away from the hive to get a less bee intense inspection after you shake it off.

As crofter is saying a fresh egg Sat is possibly in play on Sat. A frame that was capped last Sat is not likely to have QCs. That frame may have a lot of empty cells today.

No I would not split the split. What I had mentioned was if you could pull a small nuc from a hive or two if bees are available.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts