Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to share an infographic (a neat way to present information) about Africanized Honeybees with you all. The graphic includes information on AHB in the USA. Each fact is a link to the credible source from which it was derived. You can also embed the graphic on your site using the simple embed code on the bottom of the page. Let me know what you think. Thank you!

http://www.propacificbee.com/infographic/AHB/index.php

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Really? AHB are in GA, SC and NC? Nebraska? The graphic is probably good for drumming up bee removal business, but I would like to see the data that inspired the map showing what looks like range of colony establishment. If the intent is to show where AHB has become established and common, I believe it is a poor illustration.

If one wanted to show where AHB have been found, NY could be included.

Noting 200 to 300 miles per year? The whole US would be covered by now, considering when the AHBs first got here.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
They're coming! (Cue the Jaws music) The spread of AHB might not be too bad of an event, other than I'll actually have to start weaing a veil. Time to break down and buy a full bee suit... :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Of course there is a geographical barrier of where the AHB expansion will plateau but this shows the rate of which AHB have moved into the U.S. Again, If you want to see the data from the sources click on the fact and you should be directed to the information.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Can you give me a specific example please? I tried clicking on the map to see if that did anything and it didn't. Thanks.

I will go back and try something else.

Thanks for your patience.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would think this would do more public fear mongering about bees than any good it would do. I think more of a positive educational approach to AHB works better. The general public seems to think all bees are 'Killer Bees' and does not help the backyard beekeeper who has hives in the neighborhood.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I gave it another look. Good info for that which is provided. I would like to see you change the map to show where AHB are currently established, not where they are predicted to become established. For one thing, even if they were established in GA, they would not be so in the whole State because of geographical/environmental restrictions, such as the mountains.

When I first looked at the site, I didn't read the colony count graphic as well as I should and only really read the number, since it is a different color than the rest of the type. I thought that refered to the number of AHB colonies in the US.

I wonder how many other folks would do like I did and not read further?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I went back and re-read, and the 53 Fatal Attacks bothered me a bit. It 'implies' fatal attacks by africanized bees. After doing some quick research I found that there are 53 deaths by bee stings due to allergic reaction. This just doesn't make me feel comfortable with the message being sent.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Which message? That 53 people a year die from allergic reaction to honeybee stings or the implication by association that 53 people a year die because of Africanized honeybees?

The problem w/ such statistics is that it only highlights the bad news, not the good news. Only 53 people died freom bee stings. What goes unreported, because it isn't known and is not sensational enuf, is all the people who didn't die when stung. 53 isn't very many. Besides, were all 53 killed by bee stings or were they killed by insect bites and stings? Wasps and spiders give honeybees a bad name.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Just as I thought.

I applaud initiative and building ones own business, but this infographic seems to be based on fear and reinforcmenbt of that fear. It wouldn't be as sensational were the words "Killer Bees" left out of the top of the page.

I appreciate the info found when one dbl clicks on something, but some of it is perhaps somewhat misleading. Case in point "53 Fatal Attacks" from bee stings.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Thanks Nabber. That paints a much different picture. And also refutes the annual rate of spread. But, it probably won't sell much of what the Poster wishes to sell. I'd be surprised if very many people on beesource.com pass this Infographic along.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
It's from the USDA and was updated last March, so I figure it's about as good as information as one can get (big government conspiracies theories aside).

Somebody posted the link earlier this year. It took me all of 20 seconds on Google to find it.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
AHB was detected in Mississippi this year. And have been around the port of Mobile, Alabama for a while. TED

1 - 20 of 46 Posts