Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AFB (American Foulbrood disease) was a big issue in the 60s and 70s when I was beekeeping. Back then I use to travel with a MI state bee inspectors for 3-4 summers as he was also my 4-H club leader. If AFB was discovered we'd cyanide the bees, torch all the hives' inner parts and scorch the inside of the supers, bottom boards, inner covers and covers.

Just doing some NET searching it appears that MI and other states no longer do this inspection and registration of bee hives in a state is no longer required. The disease only affects the honeybee's brood, not the honey for human consumption (but that was also torched).

So has that issue pretty much died down? I happen to notice a few ads seeking beekeeping equipment, who also demand that beekeeper be disease free.

So what's the latest on this? Is the bee-mite the major issue these days?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Our inspector said he hasn't seen a case of AFB in almost 3 years. Mites are a different story. At least in Florida, there are no hives without mites and they are a major issue. So are Small hive beetles... Thou a strong hive can win a battle with SHB.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts