Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember, last fall when someone gave me a hive, sorry,...can't find my old post!
Anyway, this hive got started on its own and the fellow, who gave it to me, didn't want it, [his dad used to keep bees]
The hive came in one deep, 9 frames, everything looked fine, and have fed them before going into winter, but noticed allot of dying bees outside the hive.
I knew for sometime, that they where all dead, have open it up and most of the dead bees where on the bottom board. There was about 2 1/2 frames full of caped honey, but since I'm going to start new this year, I wanted to burn everything, because wasn't sure, in what condition these combs are.

But then I thought, first I'm going to show it to this former bee keeper in town, to see what he would do, .....he said, they had foulbrood, but he wouldn't throe them away, or burn them, he would still use them and treat the bees as such??
I'm not willing to do this yet, until I get some information from you!

I'm thinking like this...
If I would still keep it as a bee lure only, since, according to you, old comb is good for this right? But I would do this away from my "new" hive [many miles] and if I can catch a swarm or bees and treat them with AFB and eventually, slowly get rid of old combs...would that be OK ??
Konrad

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
brood sells are dried up...because of the "pattern", irregular, some caped...
just as pictured in books.

·
Registered
410 Posts
With a toothpick , puncture cap and remove content of brood cell. The larval remnant may be a light brown mass sunk onto the bottom side of the cell. If the mass is ROPEY while the toothpick is withdrawn from the cell, this is a strong indication of AFB disease

Terry

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone!
Can this still being done when everything is dried up?
But I could still do the milk test right?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Over time, the larval remains will dry and harden into a dark brown leathery scale on the bottom side of the cell. A single scale contains millions of spores that remain viable for decades. Bees can't remove scales from cells
AFB scales can be readily detected in the field by holding the brood frame at an angle of approximately 15 degrees with light coming from behind the observer.

Terry

·
Registered
410 Posts
>>>Holst Milk Test. The holst milk test (Holst 1946) is a simple test based on the fact that a high level of proteolytic enzymes is produced by sporulating Bacillus larvae. The test is conducted by suspending a suspect scale or a smear of a diseased larva in a tube containing 3-4 mL of 1% powdered skim milk in water. The tube is then incubated at 37 degrees C. If B. larvae is present, the suspension should clear in 10-20 minutes. It should be noted that this test is not always reliable.

Terry

·
Registered
35 Posts
My hive fell to AFB and the bee guy at MSU said i could boil everything so that is what i am going to try does this sound right to everyone?

·
Banned
6,073 Posts
Konrad, although there is alot to be said of the secondary effects of any desease, and the domino effect of one effecting the other, please realize that afb is a desease that can linger in a hive for several years before a hive can be killed. Yes a weak hive, a failing queen, mite issues and other conditions in conjuction with afb can cause a rather fast decline and hive death.

I say that because if you had afb kill a hive over winter, it should of been on a level this past fall that would of made it hard to miss. Please take the time to know if it was afb before making any hard decisions, and at least get familiar with afb to easily detect it.

The holts milk test although not 100% will help make field test findings. After this, if there is still doubt, samples can be sent to most state entomolgy departments, and even to most of the bee labs, with no cost for afb verification.

Those who treat or have had past afb problems should be sending samples for resistance testing.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you so much again!

Terry, interesting video....they take it very seriously on AFB.. so I'm going to burn them all!
By the way Terry, you have posted some video on bees and I have seen part of the bumble bee only, very nice, I sure liked it but didn't have the time to see it all...I can't find it no more, could you please posted it private again,...thanks.

They do boil it in a chemical, frame and boxes....all the green paint came off the boxes but also burn boxes [other method] very labor intensive!
It seems, AFB over here in Northamerica is taken lightly and it is very common, how do most bee keepers treat this effectively??
Konrad

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you Terry!
Today, I have made a nice little fire ....so now I don't have to worry anymore.

At the Bee meeting they where talking about, who would like there hivebodys sent to Vancouver, to have them disinfected by some kind of Radiation...forgot the right term of word they used, but there are truck loads going out from Alberta and it cost somewhere of $ 4.50 per one supper.
Are you doing this too? USA? Well...for me newbie, with new equipment, I should not worry for now but I'm pretty sure in the near future.....haven't heard from any beekeepers around here, that they never had AFB......can you imagine, there has to be tons of diseased hive bodies out there, just ready for infest others!

Have heard, some bee keepers are having there equipment "radiation cleaned", on a regular basis, and they say, it really makes a world of difference.
Konrad

1 - 14 of 14 Posts