Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am a new Beek. I am 3 weeks in and have done 2 cutouts with family members who are beeks also. I also have a nuc started and apparently doing well. I am following advise but am still concerned.

I did my second cutout today and picked up a large colony, very large. They were active as there is capped brood scattered through 3 courses off the comb and also several pollen stores. There was basically no honey just like the cutout 3 weeks ago today. I have been pouring 1:1 sugar syrup to them to get them ready for winter (in my mind this is right). Here in Oklahoma we are pretty well through with the flows as I understand it. I was pleased to see the girls have been out busy picking up pollen. With this backgroound:

1. Should I be providing them the syrup at this time as I am?
2. What should I be watching for, I am seeing 3 frames of comb we transferred over with stores of syrup filling up. There is only 1 comb left but they are drawing out another now. The queen has started laying this week and brood is mixed in with the syrup and pollen stores with some pattern.

I just want to do all I can to get them winter ready.

·
Registered
300 Posts
You are on the right track, as long as your feeding doesn't start robbing. Just don't use an entrance feeder. Check them for mites now, and treat accordingly, other than that try to leave them alone until thry get situated to their new home.
Welcome and enjoy!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts