Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello;
This is my 3rd year beekeeping.
With two hives, two years ago, I managed to process eleven gallons of honey.
I left the honey from last season, and let the Bees keep it.
It looks like I have one hive that has made it through the winter, possible two, one is a little weak.
My issue is that I have three new packages on the Way.
My third hive is brand new. Meaning that I have ready to install one package.
I cannot get a refund on my pre-paid hives.
What to do? I have no place for two of the new packages.
I was thinking of installing two packages in the one empty hive along with an extra Medium supper for room.
And to install package in the active hives minus their shipping queen, to let them get use to a new queen.
One other note, my present bees are Italian. The packages that I have coming are Russian.
THANK YOU,
Mike

·
Registered
32 Posts
You might remove the queen from the weak hive and newspaper combine it with the strong hive, then you will have two empty hives for two of the packages. I'm sure you can find a local beekeeper in your area who is looking for bees and would be happy to buy the third package.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You might remove the queen from the weak hive and newspaper combine it with the strong hive, then you will have two empty hives for two of the packages. I'm sure you can find a local beekeeper in your area who is looking for bees and would be happy to buy the third package.
Thanks, what is the reason for the Newpaper and which super in the hive should I place the paper.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Let your bee club know and post on Craigs list...I expect someone would love a package of bees.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, what is the reason for the Newpaper and which super in the hive should I place the paper.
Update. I just went to check on the hives. Now, the hive that I thought was weak, has a substantial size cloud of bees flying around it.....
****, it is only in the 40's outside.
I would purchase another hive, but my stand for the hives only supports three hives comfortably.
Thank you all for your advice.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,077 Posts
Any old bricks or concrete blocks will do for a stand. Any old scrap of plywood will do for a cover. You can get by with a scrap of plywood for the bottom, but a rim that is at least 1/4" would help. It's not hard to have another hive right now. You should always have a spare hive in case of a swarm...

·
Registered
638 Posts
I'm with MB on this. Bees love wood. With a few simple wood tools (skill saw, square,GOOD wood glue, and some screws) a box can be put togather in minutes. The ones you buy probably have the finger joints and while nice....arent really needed to make a box. A simple butt joint and lots of glue works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts