Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been watching one of my production colonies for a series of weeks and each week I've done what I could to keep them from swarming (mostly opening up the brood nest). That was successful for awhile but last week I figured I couldn't keep it up and pulled the queen and 3 frames and put them into a nuc because there were supercedure and swarm cups starting to form. I decided that just incase it was them superceding her (she's a second year queen) it was safest to see what they did and put her aside in safe keeping as a ba

That being said, I know they haven't swarmed (I took their queen and the population is the same) but I checked in on them 7 days later (today) and now the cups are fully capped. There are 10 total and I figure them having that many means they intended to swarm.

My question is, w/10 cells on 3 different frames should I pull out two of the frames w/queen cells and make another two nucs? Will they swarm/afterswarm when the virgins all hatch out? Or could I leave them and the first virgin out will take care of the others?

This hive was exceptional, built quickly, survived the NE winter, and is my strongest so I think my best bet is probably a few nucs but all the same, in this situation if left alone what is the most probably outcome?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I had a similar situation, but I didn't notice capped queen cells until they swarmed AFTER I split that hive 50/50. Once I saw they had many capped queen cells in both hives, I took out 2 of the queen cell frames and made new one-medium hives with them (and honey & capped brood & pollen). I would've probably stretched out into another one or two new hives except I ran out of equipment, so I stopped at 2.

I can't tell you about afterswarms, and I don't know if mine will, but at least out of one exceptional hive, I potentially have 4 hives now. The original queen is gone, but I wouldn't mind 4 hives of her offspring.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Making 2 more nucs is a good idea. You want that hive's genetics in other hives and it should prevent swarming. Afterswarms occur if the hive is very large and overcrowded. I live in a very different area, but you maybe should have added supers for honey weeks or a month ago.

And you may have missed out on getting honey this year.

·
Registered
194 Posts
That little detail: "and pulled the queen and 3 frames and put them into a nuc." I am not well versed with swarming, but I would think you need a queen for a swarm. Without a queen, I think you stopped a swarm for awhile at least.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts