Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I split a hive from a friend's hive (miles from my yard) about 2+ months ago. Took 4 or 5 frames and the queen from that hive. The hive grew to about 12 frames, but then the queen disappeared. I'm certain she's gone - there has been no brood/eggs for 4-5 weeks. Currently there are still many bees and tons of pollen/nectar and some capped honey, but still no brood/eggs. About 3 weeks ago, I took a frame of brood/eggs from my other hive. Just inspected again, and there are no queen cells, no queen.

How would you all go about rectifying this situation? Should I purchase a queen - could get it by end of next week? Try another frame of brood from the other hive?

Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
It takes 14 days for a Q cell to be built and emergence, if your estimate of three weeks is correct and there was a cell made, she should be getting larger and about ready to take mating flights (virgins are runny and hard to spot sometimes). If were me I’d wait a week or so and reinspect before you make a decision.
I’d buy a queen, as the population is aging and it’d be iffy if they could raise a quality cell.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts