Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new beekeeper just got my first three frame nucs on May 3 rd. I set up the hive body's 10 frame deeps
and put a hive top feeder of 1/1 suryp. the first week I just would sit and observe the hive's I noticed both hives bringing in pollen on the first day. but the second hive not quite as much. I checked the feeders a couple of times during the week and never saw any bee's at the feeders. I read some post about feeding this time of year that it sometime causes more problems than it solves(ants robbing ect) So on May 10th I done my first hive inspection. 1st Hive saw the queen , some new drawn comb, good brood felt like things where good. I removed the feeder. 2nd hive did not see queen a little new comb pretty good brood pattern but not as much as first hive. Seem ok but not as strong as first hive. Removed feeder also.

So on May 17th done a another inspection 1st hive looks good can tell increase in number of bees new brood in new comb. seen queen all looks good as far as I know with my very limited experience. 2nd hive seen queen pretty good brood, I can't tell if there is an increase in numbers seems about the same. Both hives have pollen stores and a little honey. 2nd hive has not increase new comb. Does not seem to be growing.

So here is my question is there anything I can do to give this hive a boost? Do I need put the feeder back on? I do not think there on the verge of dying out, but my gut tells me I need do do something. I may be worrying to much.
thanks in advance

·
Registered
408 Posts
Does not seem to be growing. So here is my question is there anything I can do to give this hive a boost? Do I need put the feeder back on? I do not think there on the verge of dying out, but my gut tells me I need do do something. I may be worrying to much. thanks in advance
Unless you have a beeK buddy that can give you some frames of sealed brood, for the first four weeks you population will go down as the package worker bees die off from all the hard work. The main nectar flow is on so the feeder will not be busy. If we have a long rainy week of weather they should be ok with the natural stuff they are bring in. If the weather turns nasty put the feeders back on and feed but for the next four weeks the honey flow should carry them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts