Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

We would like to setup a wireless video camera to capture bees landing at the entrance of our hive that we could stream to our website for kids to watch. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on setting something like this up! There may be wifi within range will be checking this week.

Thanks in advance. =)

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have been using ‘Wansview Outdoor Security Camera, 1080P Wireless WiFi IP Surveillance Bullet Home Camera’($50 at Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/Wansview-Sec...=1550095747&s=electronics&sr=1-3-catcorr&th=1) since last June and very happy with its performance. It is NOT battery-operated, so you need an electrical outlet by your hives. You also need 2.4Ghz WiFi (5G WiFi is not supported). Mine is located ~80 ft from the Wifi router. After downloading their free app, it is very easy to set up. You can see live streams on your smartphone or computer, take photos and videos and etc. I believe they sell a cheaper version with lower resolution.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I have been using ‘Wansview Outdoor Security Camera, 1080P Wireless WiFi IP Surveillance Bullet Home Camera’($50 at Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/Wansview-Sec...=1550095747&s=electronics&sr=1-3-catcorr&th=1) since last June and very happy with its performance. It is NOT battery-operated, so you need an electrical outlet by your hives. You also need 2.4Ghz WiFi (5G WiFi is not supported). Mine is located ~80 ft from the Wifi router. After downloading their free app, it is very easy to set up. You can see live streams on your smartphone or computer, take photos and videos and etc. I believe they sell a cheaper version with lower resolution.
can you post a sample photo of how close you can zoom in to the hive landing board?

·
Registered
676 Posts
2019-02-13__14-03-54.jpg
I think I can get a similar angle as the above picture by IAmTheWaterbug but for now I want to see the top entrance on the feeding shim and dead bees on the landing board (which is actually a plastic Q excluder). Yes it is an ugly way to wrap a hive but we just had an unusually cold weather and I used whatever available at hand. The white thing at the top is a plastic sheet I used to protect the camera from the snow.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
View attachment 46121
I think I can get a similar angle as the above picture by IAmTheWaterbug ...
Thank you both for posting. I would love to be techie enough to do one like IAmTheWaterbug, but I need a more practical solution and I think the wireless IP camera might do it. I'm setting two Lang hives at the garden center where I work this spring, but the area is too far away for me to walk to each day to keep an eye on them (we have ruffians in the neighborhood that like to tip things over). $50 is within my budget to give this a try.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts