Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help on bee vac hose

I have built a new bee vac and need to get a hose.
What is the most cost effective hose?
Where can I get it?
What size hose 1 1/2 - 2" or what?
What length should I buy?
Your feedback will be valued, Thanks.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
The blue shop vac hose from Lowes. It's ribbed on the outside but smooth on the inside (smooth on the inside is a must) Not real cost effective though. $30 bucks when I bought it. But it's good. I think mine is 1 1/2". I will measure it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The largest diameter you can get and I would think the shortest hose possible could only be beneficial. I use a 6' hose that's 2.25" in diameter.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Mine is cheap ribbed "sump" hose. I bought a 15' foot roll of it in a plastic bag for less than $10 bucks. A lot of people have said that it tears up the bees as they ricochet down the hose, but I've found that if you regulate the suction to the point that the bees are "just barely" sucked in the hose end, cushion their landing in the box somehow, and keep the hose length to 6' feet of less, they survive just fine.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Mine is cheap ribbed "sump" hose. I bought a 15' foot roll of it in a plastic bag for less than $10 bucks. A lot of people have said that it tears up the bees as they ricochet down the hose, but I've found that if you regulate the suction to the point that the bees are "just barely" sucked in the hose end, cushion their landing in the box somehow, and keep the hose length to 6' feet of less, they survive just fine.
I do the same thing and use the attachment extension to my regular vacuum for the hose.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I have vacuumed seemingly countless colonies using the inexpensive pool vac hose. Never had any problems with bee mortality unless the suction was too high.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Smooth on the inside is best. You can keep the vacuum nice and low and the bees have nothing to hang on to. Ribs on the inside give them something to grab on to and get damaged if/when they bounce off of them.
After finding about pound of live bees inside my black, corregated shop vac hose the morning after my first cutout, I purchased this one:
http://www.nosawdust.com/dust_hose.htm
Item #366 - 2.5 inch diam, clear, smooth on the inside, flexible, 10 ft long, and only $15. At that price you can cut it to any length you want if 10 ft is too much.
~Reid

·
Registered
64 Posts
You can get clear vinyl tubing from most hardware stores. It isn't terribly expensive, you can get it in variable lengths and diameters, it is smooth on the inside, and you have the benefit of being able to see the bees as they move down the tube.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Smooth is best but like SgtMaj said ribbed works great for me as suction on my unit is so that it just does suck them up. In fact, I have to knock the hose all the way back every now and again to make sure the bees are not "hanging around".

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
I've used regular shop vac (ribbed) hose for tons of cutouts. Works fine if you moderate the suction, but I do get bees clumping in it that I periodically have to shake loose. I haven't experienced much bee kill at all unless I'm inattentive on the suction. This year I'll be switching to smooth-walled milk tubing that a buddy uses; its heavy and less flexible, but I think it is worth it for not having to worry as much about low points and clumping.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think the reasoning is similar to those that say not to shake bees out of packages. Most of the time it may be no problem at all, but there is a possibility of problems.

It's like the doctor telling you to cut back on salt if you are hypertensive. There are just as many studies and people saying it is of no value as there are saying it is, but in order to err on the side of caution, most doctors will order you to stop eating salt, and you will ignore him anyway.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I get Central Vacuum hose from a vacuum supply place. It is 2.25 inch and smooth on the inside. I use 20 ft on my bee vac without problems killing bees. It cost about 1.20 a ft.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Generally speaking, shorter is better. My experience is that I can usually mover my vacuum closer by lifting with a rope and pulley more easily than I can hold a heavy hose and manipulate to remove bees. My first cut-out was 20 feet high. My second was over 40 feet up. I actually had to tie my two longest extension ladders together to reach them. I made a harness and lifted my vacuum right up under me on the ladder, so I only needed about eight feet of hose. Even then, it can be very tiring to hold that hose over your head for 4 hours. (It turned out that it was two different hives about two feet apart in the same overhang) Either way you go, have fun.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I guess I'm a little different than most i like a longer hose too many of my cut outs have been up two stories or more. So I use a 50 ft hose from a pools supply store i've never had a problem with bees plugging it up and have never had that many bees die in my cages.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
My bee vac needs a 1-1/4" hose and I got a length from Lowe's, clear and smooth and you can get it any length you want. Then I added another 10' of 1" hose (clear and smooth) that fits right inside the end of the larger hose.

The suction in the smaller hose is greater, but the bees slow down when they enter the larger hose.

Grant
Jackson, MO

·
Registered
507 Posts
I just looked Lowe's over very well for clear hose, tubing and found it in the plumbing section. The largest diameter clear hose they had was 1 1/4 inches and it was $2.98 per foot. That is some very expensive hose.

I didn't get it because folks seem to like the 2 1/2 hose rather than the 1 1/4. The wall of the 1 1/4 tubing was extremely thick and very, very stiff.

Which shop vac HP (Horse Power) is sufficient. The smallest unit Lowe's had was the 2.5 HP shop vac at about $30.00. Is this enough or do I need the 3 HP or up to the 5HP?

Which hose diameter is the best, the 2 1/2 or the 1 1/4???

I don't want to pay a fortune to be able to do wild swarm removals, etc. Most of the offers I have had for swarms of bees have come from way out in the country far away from any electricity.

Lowe's also had a Power Invertor with battery cables to attach to the battery of my truck for about $77.00. This is getting expensive.

Add onto that the cost of a battery operated Saws-All and you can see where this will be way in excess of $150.00.

Someone guide me here.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
WHAT? Lowes isn't the Lowes*T* ? :rolleyes:
Look up electrolux in the phone book and call your local shop. Tell them you need vacuum hose by the foot in the 2.25-2.50 inch range. They should sell it by the foot and it will be cheaper than lowes if your vacuum dealer is like mine.

Another really cheap option would be to drive around early on trash day and collect up some old vacuums off of the curb. I power my vac with the motor out of and old electrolux found for free on the curb... My entire vac cost me about 40.00. I bought the hose and a piece of plexiglass. I have been using the same one for 5 years now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts