Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I'm in my 3rd year of keeping bees, so I have a lot to learn yet. This is my first year making splits without purchasing queens.

I have one hive that had become really strong early in the season and had four mediums used for brood. I pulled 2 medium boxes and made a split to hopefully prevent a swarm. I had no idea where the queen was when I made the split(I have never been able to find this queen), but after checking a few days later she is in the split hive. By sheer luck I think I did something right! LOL

Yesterday I went back in the original hive to make sure they were making emergency queen cells and saw that they had about 5 capped swarm cells. I did not know the swarm cells were already there when I made the split because I was trying to do the split before I went out of town for a few days and was in a rush.

What can I expect now from the original hive now? Didn't I create an artificial swarm and avoid a major swarm? Will the first hatching queen likely dispatch the other queens and this hive not swarm?

Thank you!

·
Registered
405 Posts
What makes you believe they are swarm cells not emergency cells? If you're going just based on their position on the frame I would suspect they are actually just emergency cells and you're misunderstanding how to differentiate between the types of cells. Either way I suspect you will be fine at this point. If they had indeed decided to swarm and you split them up you most likely stopped them from hitting the trees.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Don't over think it. Leave them for awhile. If you have multiple frames in the old hive you can make a few nucs and have more hives.
Also make sure you give each hive additional room if you havent already.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I wanted to cut out a couple of the queen cells to make more splits but I got a little intimidated. I may try again this weekend if weather permits.

This is the year I am trying to really increase my colonies to become more self-sufficient. I have several splits going right now and hoping they all become queen right.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Still early so go for it. if only a few frames of bees feed them so they spend most time on the brood and get big. Be prepared to recombine if she fails to lay. but don't jump the gun.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,550 Posts
so 1 part has the queen and 1 part has cells, was that not the goal? If you have 2 frames with 2 cells each, split it again into NUCs you do not always get a queen, from cells, so 2 chances is better than 1. if 1 of the mated queens is not up to par re combine picking the better queen.
you will find most of the time plans tend to shift a little, plan little steps itteratively , now that i have cells on 2 frames what should I do? nothing is always an option.
GG

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the advice everyone!

I would have made another split with the new cells, but I ran out of equipment due to 4 splits I made a couple of weeks prior. I have since bought a few things and also fired up my table saw to slap some equipment together.

I came out of winter with the 2 hives I originally had going into winter, and now I have 7. Five of the 7 are now queen right. I'm waiting on the other 2 to get a queen hatched and hopefully get mated and return.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,550 Posts
Thank you for the advice everyone!

I would have made another split with the new cells, but I ran out of equipment due to 4 splits I made a couple of weeks prior. I have since bought a few things and also fired up my table saw to slap some equipment together.

I came out of winter with the 2 hives I originally had going into winter, and now I have 7. Five of the 7 are now queen right. I'm waiting on the other 2 to get a queen hatched and hopefully get mated and return.
Have a good look at the laying patterns for the new queens, unless you have very good luck , 1 or 2 may be sub par, simply pinch the queen and add the resources back into the other 4 or 5. Else sounds like a good increase year. Congrats.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts