Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I transferred a nuc into a deep some time back. The Girls did well. Afterwards, I added a 2nd deep, and placed a filled (2-frame-wide, 1.5 gallon) feeder into it. Checked it 5 days later: the feeder was nearly empty, and the deep had lots of drawn comb (but not to the point where I'd add anything or remove the feeder). I re-filled the feeder.

Now .... 6 days have passed and I want to check the new hive again. My plan was initially to see if the top deep has been well-drawn, and if so, to add a honey super. Tons of activity at the hive entrance.

My question, though, is -- if I add a honey super, should I continue to feed the bees via the top-deep feeder? Would the bees be likely to use the syrup for comb in the honey super, or .... would they merely store it in the honey super, to the point where maybe I'd only harvest syrup? :scratch:

I'm totally shaky on this point. I can see an argument on several sides in this. This could be the only real harvest year for me (out of the 3.5 in which I've maintained the bugs) so I may be tending to paranoia re: harvesting.

Thx a heap for any feedback, thoughts, recommendations, and maybe even snickering ....

Mitch

·
Registered
164 Posts
If you keep feeding them, they will store syrup in the honey super. If the super is foundation and needs to be drawn out, you can continue to feed syrup but they will store syrup in it as they draw it out. So, you will need to extract the syrup once it is drawn out then put it back on for them to fill it with honey. Or, you can just let the bees draw the foundation using the nectar they are bringing in, but you may get less honey in the end.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Mitch,
If they have taken feed for a few weeks and have a frame or 2 stored in the deeps, why not quit feeding and add supers?
Feed is generally used to get bees over a hump. I presume they are bringing in Pollen, if so then there should be nectar soon.
Once you see dandelions in your area I would think feed is not necessary. Feeding and placing on a super is going to put your feed into the super combs, so depending on what you call a harvest just be aware the feed will get stored. Also IMO the deep combs filled with syrup are NOT the optimal winter feed ( for this coming winter). there are whole threads on that topic. Pure sugar lacks the amino acids and minerals etc that honey contains. Once they are able to forage you should let them. the stores around the brood nest will be winter food and the extra in the super can be what you harvest. Syrup in either of these places is sub optimal. Keep an eye out for blooming plants in your area and try to get off syrup as soon as you feel you are able. Keep at it, you will get the feel in time.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Much obliged, guys -- it's encouraging. I checked the hive today: a couple of frames had yet to be drawn, and I added 1.5 gallons of syrup to the feeder (The Girls'd emptied it in 5 days or so). Didn't add a medium, [honey super]. I think I'll give 'em a week or so, then -- regardless of circumstances -- remove the feeder.....

Mitch

1 - 4 of 4 Posts