Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished going through my hives and my package hive from spring has 6 mature queen cells. I found the queen and excluded her to the bottom box for now. I do have the available equipment to pull the frames with the queen cells and start a new hive. But, figuring it's mid august, I don't think that's a good idea. I've never killed one of my queens before, so I'm a little hesitant to try it. However, at this point in the season, is that my only viable option? Please let me know your thoughts!

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
if the hive is super strong split it in 2 you can recombine later if you must. I do not mean average I mean real large. we are getting late but it may just work. I assume you are up in the 3 full ten frame deep range now.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just had the same thing happen. Unfortunately I didn't believe they were really going to swarm. well, they did. I had thought the queen cells were supercedure cells at first. there were probably 15 Cells total. all but one of them were randomly placed here and there on the face of the comb. not on the bottom.there were capped cells there. When I thought about it more and went back the next day, the Queen was gone.I started cutting out the queen cells and a queen ran out of one of them.so it's all very bizarre. My original Queen had stayed in the hive for about 8 days after the youngest cells were capped.I cut out the rest of the cells and hopefully I have a virgin in there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if the hive is super strong split it in 2 you can recombine later if you must. I do not mean average I mean real large. we are getting late but it may just work. I assume you are up in the 3 full ten frame deep range now.
Thanks for the reply. Here's a run down on my hive status. 1 deep 2 mediums (I run mediums, but my bee supplier accidently included 1 deep instead of a medium and it was too far of a drive for me to return...so I'm dealin with it). The bottom box, deep, is about 90% built out, 5 frames of brood in various stages, 2 honey, 1 mostly hatched brood frame, 2 empty drawn combs. Second box is 80%, 2 full frames of honey, 3 mature brood, 3 30%ish brood with honey circling the brood, 2 partially to minimal drawn comb. Third is about 50% drawn with 2 frames of honey and not much else going on.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I am about 4 1/2 weeks to first frost, too late for me. what is you average first frost date? you want a couple of brood cycles after the split and the new queen laying well... take care of what you have. if you split now do it to control the swarm situation, put them back together in a few weeks. with whichever queen you want to keep.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am about 4 1/2 weeks to first frost, too late for me. what is you average first frost date? you want a couple of brood cycles after the split and the new queen laying well... take care of what you have. if you split now do it to control the swarm situation, put them back together in a few weeks. with whichever queen you want to keep.
i'm about the same...maybe 6 weeks. i'm not too certain about recombining the hives in a few weeks...wouldn't that cause confusion from moving one of the hives? ie the moved hive returning to their old location.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thinking about it...I guess if I split the colony now, my old queen can continue to lay eggs and raise brood while the virgin queen mates and begins laying eggs. in a few weeks, i can see how the brood pattern looks in each hive and decided which queen i want to keep and combine to the hives...avoiding a drop in total population had i killed the current queen having no laying queen for a few weeks.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
if you split right now by buying a laying queen and we have a late fall there is an outside chance to end up with 2 hives in 6 weeks at the strength you suggest. a couple of ifs there. it would take drawn comb and a lot of feeding. combining hives back is not too stressful, read up on newspaper combine. kind of late with a home-raised queen... if you must, put the queen cell in a small separate entrance on back, double screen a box above a hive with a couple of frames of bees. to see if she will mate, then get rid of whichever queen you want to of the 3, if you must have one of the ones you raised yourself. pretty late.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts