Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running 10 frame mediums, and installed 2 packages at the beginning of April ... they are brand new hives, no drawn foundation (small-cell plastic frames).

I did my weekly inspection today and found that most of the frames had been drawn out (and were being filled) in both hives ... save 3.5 (frames) in one hive and 4 in the other. So I'm guessing maybe around 60% drawn out in one hive and 65% in the other. The weather is really warming up this week and the bees are extremely active ... I decided to add an additional super (10 frame medium) on top ... I'm wondering if maybe I did it a bit early though. Should I have waited until they were more like 80% filled? I just didn't want them to all of a sudden scurry into major activity (we've got major blueberry bloom happening right now) and run out of room before my next inspection. Right call, wrong call? I'm a first year beek by the way. :)

I also took one frame of brood from each hive and moved it up to the new box, right in the middle (bait frame I guess I've seen it called) ... I'm now full of new beekeeper regrets as to whether I did this all too early!

Premium Member
Don't worry bee happy
I think you are doing good so bee kewl :)

Registered
I also took one frame of brood from each hive and moved it up to the new box, right in the middle (bait frame I guess I've seen it called) ... I'm now full of new beekeeper regrets as to whether I did this all too early!
Moving one frame of honey as a bait frame works OK, but when moving brood frames to bait them into a new box, two brood frames next to each other makes it easier for the nurse bees to keep the brood warm. I would probably have waited just a bit to let them fill out the bottom box further to avoid stretching a small hive too thin, but if your weather is warm, not worth losing sleep over.

Good luck!

-Knute

Registered
Moving one frame of honey as a bait frame works OK, but when moving brood frames to bait them into a new box, two brood frames next to each other makes it easier for the nurse bees to keep the brood warm. I would probably have waited just a bit to let them fill out the bottom box further to avoid stretching a small hive too thin, but if your weather is warm, not worth losing sleep over.

Good luck!

-Knute
I am in the same area...days are warming up but nights remain cold...can see the horses breath on the air in the early morning. Great your bees are moving so quickly. I have left mine with 1 brood box for the moment.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I'm in Vancouver, BC ... it's warming up this week, but it's not super warm (like it probably is in California). Today was 20C, and this week is supposed to continue that trend, but it does get down to 10C at night or so.

I didn't realize moving a frame of honey would've done the bait trick as well ... lesson learned I guess.

Registered
That's good. You'll have a narrow pyramid brood nest in them for a while. C'mon warm weather!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts