Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice. I hived my package on May 8. They have been doing well so far. The last I checked them was about 10 days ago. The had 6 frames completely drawn, #7 was over half drawn and #8 was just being started, 9 and 10 had not been touched yet. Bees had just started hatching and many should have come out by now. I am planning on adding the second brood box tomorrow or Friday.

My question is this. Do I just place it on top and let them come up when they want or should I swap a drawn frame from below to entice them up. I don't want them to come up and not finish the frames below.

What do you think?

Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
I added my second brood box when the first was about 85-90% full. I did not add any frames from the bottom box to the top box. I added about 2-3 weeks ago. I inspected yesterday and I have 2 full frames of brood and 2 frames of honey. They seem to be doing well. I did however take two sticks and prop open the outer cover for ventilation and another entrance. This was also the first time I used smoke, what a difference. Michael was right about the amount to use and how long to wait before opening.

------------------
J.J.

·
Registered
93 Posts
So here's a dumb question...I put a second super on this weekend too...what does that mean for inspecting the lower chamber? Is it off limits now until next year or until I swap the brood boxes?
Ed.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Definitely not. Just turn your cover upside down on the ground. Set your top hive body diagonally across it so that only 4 points are touching(to squish less bees). Then work thru the lower hive body as usual.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
If I'm using frames with foundation I tend to just put the box on and crowd the frames to the center and close it up.

If I'm using frames with starter strips or foundationless top bars, then I bait them up or they will start building the comb from the bottom bar up.

If you want to speed things up, you can bait them up by swapping an empty frame with one in the brood nest. If I waited to long and the bottom box is full, I'm more likely to do this to head off swarming impulse by opening up the brood nest a little. I might even do two frames.

Anytime you have a reason to inspect, do it. But it is a lot of work when you have six to eight boxes stacked up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I looked at teh weather and decided I better go have a look today just incase. Glad I did. When I opened the hive it was full of bees. It probably wasn't but it looked like there were 3 times as many bees as 9 days ago. Now 8 frames were completely drawn, #9 was almost finished and #10 was well started on both sides of the frame. I forgot my smoker so didn't dig in deeply and get them fired up. Just seperated frames a little to look down between. The had also eaten the entier gallon of syrup. The last 2 trips they had only taken half of it. I put the new box on with 10 frames of foundation and gave them another gallon of syrup and closed things up and left them alone.

Starting to get excited now that I can see progress being made.

Thanks for the advice and taking the time to listen to my rambling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts