Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my first hive of the year into a dead-out that froze over the winter. I have a full super of honey from the hive. Is it a good idea to give this new package the 2nd super full of honey just 2 weeks after I installed it? I have read in many different books to add the 2nd super after 7 of the 10 frames have been drawn out. But if adding the new package to a hive that is already drawn out which rule of thumb should I use. And as for the super of honey, will it cause a chill brood problem if I add it too early and should I take out some of the honey so the new queen has some space to lay her eggs. She hasn't filled up many frames on the first super yet. Will they just eat the old honey and draw out new comb?

Where's the best place, besides this web site of course,:) to find these answers?

Michael

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'd give them foundation and save the honey for yourself or fall feeding. You want them to draw out 7-8 frames of comb before adding any additional supers or hive bodies. They'll usually work from the center out. Once they have the 7-8 drawn then rotate the undrawn outer frames to the center, put a new super of foundation above and if you need to bait them up then move one frame of drawn comb from the lower to the upper. A full super of honey may create a block that keeps the queen from going up and expanding the brood nest. Not what I think you want with a package that is building up.

Good luck

Pete0
Bena, VA

1 - 3 of 3 Posts