Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a rough start with a drone layer (package bees), my hive is just starting to really get going. The bees have drawn out about seven frames, though two or three are partial. It seems like the queen is laying faster than the bees can draw out comb, but as the numbers are really starting to improve, the bees have begun to draw comb much faster. I am going to do an inspection tomorrow, and then I won't be home for a week. I'm wondering if it's too early to add the second deep hive body. What happens if I add this deep too early? The queen has been doing a really excellent job and in the last week the bees have drawn a frame of foundation that I added to the middle of the brood nest and she completely filled it with eggs, wall to wall. If it makes a difference, there are probably five to six full frames of bees. My only concern is that if I wait too long, the bees may need more space, not have it, and consider swarming. Am I overly concerned? Is it possible that all this could happen in the next week while I'm away? Thanks in advance for your advice!

Marc

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Too early slows them down. I would wait till I had more frames of bees. I personally like to wait till they are nearly busting. But you can't wait to long. Wait till your week is up then come back and see. If they are 8 plus frames you could go ahead and add one when you get back.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Wife and I checked our 2 hives yesterday. We added a 2nd deep box to our strong hive 2 weeks ago. Yesterday, our weak hive showed signs of a massive recovery....brood on all frames capped and a beautiful pattern of progressively younger larva in the uncapped brood cells. Very nice round boundary with capped honey in the corners of the frames. The end frame on one side of the box had comb drawin on about 90% of the inside surface and about 10%drawn on the outside. The other end frame was pretty much still clean with a small patch drawn on the inside surface. This box was just packed with bee working frantically. With the brood pattern looking so pretty, we scratched out chins....looked at each other...said,"Do we add the 2nd box or not?"....then we decided to just go ahead and add the box as the population was taking off so fast we were afraid they might not stay settled much longer. Hope we made the right choice!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Too early slows them down. I would wait till I had more frames of bees. I personally like to wait till they are nearly busting. But you can't wait to long. Wait till your week is up then come back and see. If they are 8 plus frames you could go ahead and add one when you get back.
Hi Tennessee, why does it slow them down?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts