Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My packages are now turning the corner and building. I will of had them 5 weeks this Sunday. I'm going to be adding a second deep brood box I think this weekend. I have read many things about adding it to the top and about the same amount about adding it to the bottom. Not sure which way to go, my local beek says bottom.:scratch:

Thanks
Greg

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I've never heard of adding a new brood box containing foundation that needs to be drawn, underneath your current brood box. Under supering for honey supers I've heard of and do on occasion. But brood boxes? I think not.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Ten guys, twelve answers! Heard of it too and ware hive principle. Only thing I hear guys complain about is picking up the top box/ disturbing the hive more than they have too? Search ware hive guy for his explanation

·
Registered
481 Posts
On my two "new" hives this year, now in their 8th week, I added them to the top. I probably added them about the same time you are. I then pulled two frames of brood up into the second deep to get them working on the second. Seems to have worked as I have additional brood frames in the second deep and they have filled all 10 frames out with comb.

·
Registered
489 Posts
On my two "new" hives this year, now in their 8th week, I added them to the top. I probably added them about the same time you are. I then pulled two frames of brood up into the second deep to get them working on the second. Seems to have worked as I have additional brood frames in the second deep and they have filled all 10 frames out with comb.
Nice!

·
Registered
8,342 Posts
I guess an empty box is better being below providing dead air space than empty above come fall. Are you going to feed so it gets built out if the flow fails? Let us know how it turns out please.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Did you use open brood or capped? I'm going to be doing this tomorrow.

Thanks
Greg

·
Registered
481 Posts
I think it was mostly capped brood I put in the top. Maybe someone can pitch in, but I'm not sure it would matter to the bees as long as they have enough bees to keep it warm and taken care of.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts