Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a frame each from two hives and made a split. One frame maybe an hour before the next one went in. I found no fighting and none the next day.
Waited 24 hours. Introduced the queen.
One or two bees biting the cage, but most fanning and all pretty easily pushed off the cage.
I have nowhere else to put this queen.
Does it sound like a normal intro? I left her and am hoping they just love her, but temporarily hate the attendants.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Normal.
Usual practice is to remove the attendants. MP has a good video somewhere. Make sure the queen does not get blocked in by dead bees, sometimes the hanger is on the wrong end. Because you waited 24 hrs you will need to make sure they did not start their own cells.
Fanning probably did not.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both frames we're almost all capped brood. I wanted to give them a jump. I also put some comb that needed cleaning up. Maybe I occupied them long enough?

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Most likely you are good. I would quickly look for cells on day three then stay out.

Cork out and candy in? Another thread said not all queen cages now have candy, did not know that.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Candy end uncorked. Put her cage facedown. Didn't want to risk vertical. I learned they can get their feet chewed, So I hope that biting thing will stop.
Last thing I saw before closing was a worker standing on the back of the cage fanning.

I did mean to check for queen cells, but the sun came out just for a little stretch right about the 11 hour mark and I was moving as quickly as I dared. I planned to look 3 days from now, so I will check then for cells. Thanks for the response. This bee thing is so much wait and see and hope you didn't make fatal mistakes.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They accepted her!! My first time it's worked. I'll wait a week, but she has room to lay. She's my youngest queen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts