Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a slow start with a bad queen, my first hive is really starting to grow. I am using 8-frame mediums and started with two. I added a third on top a few days ago but so far there has not been much interest in the new real estate. Would it be beneficial or detrimental if I placed the new one between the established supers?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
They'll move up in their time. they never do it in the time we want them to. Pull a frame from down below and move it up top(What's known as seeding) put an empty frame in it's place that should encourage them.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Would it be beneficial or detrimental if I placed the new one between the established supers?
Taylor, on Preserving the integrity of the brood nest:

"you should never spread brood out, alternating combs or empty combs (frames) of foundation, thinking that this will cause the bees and queen to redouble their efforts to fill the empty combs. It only demoralizes them, and puts them behind."

"Similarly, the common practice of reversing hive bodies in the spring ...has little justification. It is likely to result in breaking the brood nest in two right across the middle. When a bee hive is inspected or combs removed for any reason they should be replaced in the order in which they were removed. About the only times the brood nest should be disrupted are when one is making increase by dividing the colony"

If anything, yes, try moving a few of the (drawn) outer frames from below, right up over the center of your brood nest.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts