Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a new beekeeper and I just installed my nucleus colony 2 weeks ago. They have already drawn out wax on about 80 percent (probably more now) of the frames I added. I want to add a second deep on top for them to expand but the temperatures are supposed to be a bit chilly after I was going to put the box on (lows in the 30s and 40s). My concern is adding it on and the bees having trouble regulating the temps in the expanded hive. This weekend is the only time I can get up to my hives for the next week or so, any suggestions as to what I should do?

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
If eight frames are covered with bees, you really need to add the room. The temperature is a concern. If you are not averse to productive work, consider putting the new box underneath. If you have a solid bottom board and a small entrance, the bees will expand downward with no problem. Screened bottom boards in cool weather result in an empty bottom box. It is a better answer than setting the second hive body on top in cool weather.

·
Registered
262 Posts
You can cover the top entrance of the inner cover with tape and add an entrance reducer. This will help keep the space warm. This year I am trying it on 2 of my hives until temps get into the 80s, I see bearding, or a traffic jam at the front entrance.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,263 Posts
IMO Add the new box under the current one that way the cold will not be an issue and they have space.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts