Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all! My question is when adding a hive to a yard do you automatically place entrance reducers to all the hives just in case one of the hives is weak to discourage robbing? I have 1 hive and I am picking up 2 more tomorrow and placing them nearby.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I don't, but others mite. Are any of the three noticably of less strength than the others? A re the new ones healthy and disease free and as mite reduced as possible? I'd be more concerned about bringing disease 2 your apiary than robbing bees. But maybe you are in a hard derth time?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The beek I am buying them from treats his bees and says they are very healthy, I will check them out when I get there, but my experience is very limited.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Well, as gently as possible, would you buy a mattress, take it home and then see if it is the one you wanted? The right firmness?

In all likelyhood the hives are alright, but, especially as a beginner, just like we have discussed on the On Selling Nucs Thread, the buyer should see what the brood looks like and how well the queen is laying and how much honey is there and such.

I hope you find them to be alright. You probably will. Best of beekeeping to you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts