Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a package hive started this year on mediums with foundation that is really booming.

I had two mediums on it and they have filled up the frames and have brood/honey in them limiting the queen's activity. They have started to produce swarm queen cells which I cut out.

I added a third medium with foundation, yesterday. All I have is foundation no drawn comb to give them.

I don't suppose that giving tham more than one box of foundation now would be helpful? Any suggestions/advice? Should I continue to give one box of foundation at a time or more?

Thanks.

Ron

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
BC, Three mediums is right at the target volume looked for in a hive. Just adding the last box on top may not break up the brood nest and give her room to lay. You may have to pull up some of your frames (preferably of honey) and put foundation in the lower boxes so they have a place to work.

After they have drawn out three mediums (You're pretty far north so I can see if you want to use four) Then you need to still give them room to work. But then you want them to work on making you some honey. So you put on an excluder and your honey supers. You're doing quite well.

Hawk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts