Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am unable to get out to the my one TBH, started last June, to check it for stores, but I saw them out flying today:). I broke a leg skiing (due to a bad tune). I need help convincing my friend that it is okay to give them some sugar, go in fast, give it to them on the bottom near the center of the cluster, get out.
Can anyone help me? He is not afraid of bees. He is worried that this is the wrong thing to do for the bees. Temp here today about 45 and cloudy, but rain and cooler weather on the way. I am not comfortable with the honey stores from the summer, and was unable to get in to give them the sugar dt cold weather before I was injured.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Now is the time to do it.... simply have everything laid out next to the hive before opening. Pop the covers, put on the super, then the paper, spray quickly, pour on sugar spray, close up, bees won't know. And the cluster isn't disturbed. Do it quick, all will be well. Much better than the risk of starvation.
Once again, simply lay everything out easily accessible before opening the hive.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes Steve, and thank you. Since it is a TBH with no spacers, we will have to put it on the bottom. I am suggesting a tube for delivery; move one bar quickly and send it down the chute, and close it back up quickly.

I'm not ever skiing again. On to more beekeeping!! Yinz all will know I'm better when the posts cease, lol.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We did it! I stood on the deck and my friend opened the hive. We had fashioned a "chute" of a vaccum sweeper extension and paper and delivered the sugar onto the bottom as close to the center as possible. All is well!

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'm not sure why it being a TBH prevented you from placing the sugar on top and also unsure if they will take it from the bottom but good luck!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dr Wax,
I have no spacers, the bees can't get up right above the cluster. Has been a source of consternation for me. Thinking that the next one will have spacers, but the bees seem to be taking this fine.
Carrie

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Good for you Carrie! It's always great to have a success! :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts