Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First winter and both hives are doing well, still have honey in the deeps. Both are two deep brood box set ups. My question is when to add the supers of drawn comb? during my first year it was easy to say ok I have 7-8 frames drawn up in my deep add another one etc. Now that I have two deeps of drawn comb when do I had my honey super of drawn comb? They are brining in pollen and fruit trees are just about to bud. I am not good at knowing when a flow is going on per se. Thanks for any help Hoss

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm not an expert by any means, but in can tell you about 3 weeks ago I reversed my deeps as the bottom ones had no brood or stores. Checking today, 3 of 4 were brooding great guns and I saw nectar and pollen in about 7 of 10 frames that were previously empty. Like you, my peach and plum trees will be in full bloom by the end of the week. I went ahead and threw on a super so if the flow starts (or is starting) I'll be ready to go. 10 day out forecast for Birmingham doesn't show any below freezing nights. From the way things look around here, spring is getting ready to pop.

As somebody said before, they can't put honey in the super that's in the garage. None of my shallows have drawn frames yet, so I'll keep a close eye out, but I think it's safe to throw on the supers.

MsBeHaven

·
Registered
59 Posts
I supered mine last Sunday as they were going gangbusters with nectar and pollen. We've had maple and some early pear trees blooming for about 2 weeks now. I haven't reversed mine because when I started pulling frames I noticed they had drawn comb between the boxes and there was brood in this area. I'll do a more thorough inspection next weekend.

I have another hive I over wintered in a single deep; I put another deep on it last weekend as well, and they are drawing comb on 9 out of 10 frames!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will add my supers tomorrow. I have not reversed my deeps. Iwill do better inspection in the morning. Anyone doing splits yet? Seems too early yet maybe in a week? Hoss

·
Registered
145 Posts
1 of my 4 was a weak package last year that went through 3 queens and only filled a single deep. Not having a lot of backup solutions, I babied this hive on a single deep all winter fully expecting it probably wasn't going to make it. Low and behold, it did. Still not brooding well and will get requeened later in the season when good queens are available.

My other 3 hives are doing great. When I reversed the deeps, I actually stole some drawn out frames for back-up nucs. These three will be the honey producers, so I'm not splitting them until after the main flow as I want a full brood on them for working. Didn't see a lot of drone build up yet. Would be worried about quality of queens until more drone is built up.

Good luck on the flow. Spring is getting ready to pop here.

MsBeHaven

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked and saw some brood of capped drone brood. Figure I had better hold off a week or so. Thanks for your info on you "weak" hive. Hoss

1 - 7 of 7 Posts