Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about adding 1 or 2 frames of capped brood from an established hive to my new 3 lb package of bees when the come in and I install them. Well this help them out or is this not a good idea?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have used this method now for two years and it works great. I normally take one to two frames from a hive to help thin it out and to introduce new foundation to draw. I normally have 4-6 frames of brood and two of honey & pollen in the new colony's hive body when I introduce the package. Last year the hive that I did this with actually produced a super of surplus honey! Good luck

Martin

·
Registered
130 Posts
>I was going to knock all the bees off the frame and just put the brood in.

(After I'd had the bees set up in their new hive for about a week)

I leave the nurse bees on the donated frames and have had quick acceptance to their new colonies. The only times I've had any trouble is when I've added frames from a different race such as Russians & Italians and then it only took slightly longer for acceptance.

Sorry, I should have mentioned I'd had the package set up a few days prior to adding brood "with" nurse bees. I'll try to think a little longer before I reply next time.

[This message has been edited by sugar bandit #2 (edited April 08, 2004).]

·
Registered
52 Posts
If I am using the broodframes in conjunction with setting up a new hive/3 lb package, I shake all the bees off and install the package on the broodframes.

If I am just bolstering up a weak colony, then I just move the entire frame.

Martin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts