Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a small swarm move into a 5 frame box with drawn out frames 7 weeks ago I moved them in to a 8 frame deep after two weeks and gave them 3 new frames to fill out and feeding 1:1. They have just finished filling out the frames completely and they have some of honey as the box is heavy but not full.

So I think things are looking good for them but I know one deep 8 frame box may not be enough to get through our winters and I don't think they will be able to fill out another new Deep. I have a new 8 Frame Medium.... should I give it to them or just let them concentrate on filling out those last two outer frames with honey?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
If you're expecting any kind of fall flow then put the medium on. Every lttle bit of nectar helps! You can always remove it if they don't store anything in it.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
I would add another box and keep feeding them 1:1 syrup, right through the fall flow if they keep taking it. They're going to need a lot of nectar or syrup to get all the comb drawn out. Don't rely completely on the fall flow, as extended periods of rain or an early frost could change everything.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts