Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I have a very strong hive that made it through so far, it has one deep and a med super that I left over. The bees are busting out and all over the super on top.

My question is when can I add another double deep to this hive and How do I do it correctly with the med super on top with bees in it. It is just now starting to warm some here in Ky and we will see temps in the 60s this next week or so.

I would like to keep this hive from swarming and or split it!

Thanks

·
Registered
319 Posts
If there is brood in the medium just add another medium or two. You dont want to put an empty deep in between the brood this time of year because of the cold. When it warms up some you could put the medium on bottom and add deep on top.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I very well may need to do the same on atleast 1 if not 2 hives. 1 deep+shallow hive is very strong and fisty. An audible hum could be heard on cold quiet winter nights feet form the hive.

You may need to add a queen excluder (make sure queen below in deep), to clear out the brood in the medium before adding the deep between. I doubt the queen will stop laying uptop I do prefer 2 deeps over 3 mediums to search thru and manage, why folks like all mediums eludes me. More cost, more equipment, more time.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I agree, I want to stay all deeps for the bees. I left the super full of honey on for the bees but now it is full of bees. I just checked this hive to the bottom and there is not much brood in the bottom deep, it is all in the med super and the super is crammed full of bees.

I guess I could wait couple more weeks and put the super at bottom and deep over it to get them to move up?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Mountain Man, When she moves back down into the bottom deep and the tops empty up would be a good time to introduce an additional deep.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts