Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my hives (I have 2, both brand new package installations on new foundation early April) is progressing quite a bit quicker than the other. I did a quick inspection today as it was a bit windy, but found that there are about the equivalent of 2 frames unused in both medium boxes. So, altogether, probably 4 frames out of 20 are not drawn out.

I decided to not add an additional super on at this time, to try and encourage them to use up those undrawn frames ... however ... it looks like starting tomorrow we're coming into a really nice warm stretch for the forseeable future. Should I be concerned they all of a sudden fill those frames up really quickly and start getting swarm urges because they're out of room? I do weekly inspections at this point. I guess ... if there's a good flow on ... and really warm weather ... can they fill out all that space and then some in a week?

I made the mistake of adding the second box too early last time ... so i didn't want to make that mistake again. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Moving the undrawn frames in closer to the brood nest and they'll be more likely to draw them out. Move empty frames from the bottom box to the top box. They like to work up and in the center. When they have drawn out 2 and 8 swap them for 1 and 10. You could probably add the third box at that point.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts