Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new queens arrived, but when I opened up one of the hives that I was going to re-queen I saw several supercedure cells. They range from almost capped to barely visible.

If I miss a just-started queen cell, will that prevent the hive from accepting the new queen? I can find the queen but some of those queen cells are barely starting to be built up. It would be awfully easy to miss a just-started queen cell.

Would it be better if I started a nuc first, and then did a newspaper combine?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would do a nuc like you suggest, but look out for the old queen, it may well still be somewhere in the hive, and you don't want it to kill your young new queen!

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>If I miss a just-started queen cell, will that prevent the hive from accepting the new queen?

Usuall, yes.

>I can find the queen but some of those queen cells are barely starting to be built up. It would be awfully easy to miss a just-started queen cell.

The capped ones are the important ones. Of course, all of them are good to get rid of but as you say, you can't easilly see them all. You can even miss some capped ones easily because they are covered with bees, but these almost always cause rejection of the new queen.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I put a nuc with a laying queen on top, and do a newspaper combine, will she kill off her rivals while they are still cells?

Will the bees in the old hive accept this and allow this?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts