Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother has 2 hives that he started last year. In one of his hives the queen died over the winter. He just now got around to adding a queen. Our concern is that the remaining bees will die before new bees can replace them. His other hive is strong so we were thinking of adding a frame of brood to the weak hive.
1.Is this a good idea?
2.Do all the bees have to be off the frame for it to be put in the new hive?
3.Should the frame go in the center of the hive?

We both are new to this and have never swapped frames. Is there any problems, tips or tricks to doing this?
Thanks

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
1. This use to be a regular practice and was often referred to as boosting the bees. Just make sure that the brood comes from a hive that is healthy.
2. Definitely. Bump, shake or brush all the bees off the comb. Find a comb with entirely sealed brood since these will hatch in the shortest period.
3. Definitely. Perhaps not the exact center, but definitely not at the exteme edges of the cluster. The largest danger to the frame of hatching brood is any chill whereby the existing bees do not cover the frame to keep the brood warm. I like to take a peak at the hive very early (while the air temp is still cool) to make certain I know exactly where the bees are clustering. I like to keep the eggs/larvae together and slide the frame of sealed brood up next to these frames.
panther passing in the night...

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,182 Posts
>1.Is this a good idea?

Sure.

>2.Do all the bees have to be off the frame for it to be put in the new hive?

That depends on how strong the weak hive is. I've never had a problem leaving the bees on when adding to a really weak hive. A more in between hive I'd brush them off as they may mount a defense.

>3.Should the frame go in the center of the hive?

Somewhere in the brood nest. That may be in the center or may not.

We both are new to this and have never swapped frames. Is there any problems, tips or tricks to doing this?
Thanks

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whats up bro, glad you found this site.

BTW nobody knows about being ordered around like you do.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can a worker bee lay? I thought it was just young nurse bees that do. I don't think there are any left in the hive. Liverlips has checked for eggs and found none.

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
Lead Pipe ask:
Can a worker bee lay? I thought it was just young nurse bees that do. I don't think there are any left in the hive. Liverlips has checked for eggs and found none.
tecusmeh ask:
Are you asking about laying worker???? If you have no eggs then you have neight a laying worker or a queen.
panther passing in the night...

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,182 Posts
>Can a worker bee lay?

If it was queenless long enough (and it sounds like it was).

>I thought it was just young nurse bees that do.

No, hives that are hoplessly queenless and have no brood at all will alomost always develop laying workers.

>Liverlips has checked for eggs and found none.

Sometimes you don't recognize them as eggs because there are dozens, instead of one, in every cell and they are on the sides instead of in the bottom. But if there are NO eggs, then there is no laying worker.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts