Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started out with one brood box per hive (I decided to use all mediums). Now it's time to add a box. Has anyone added a brood box by placing it UNDER the active one rather than on top, as Pere Warre recommended? I don't have Warre hives, just Langstroths, but I wondered if the good Father's wisdom is relevant to modern hives.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I'm not familiar with Warre's work, but the natural inclination of the bees is to work upward. I always add brood boxes on top... sometimes I'll pull a drawn frame out of the bottom box, and replace it with a foundation frame from the top box. Then put the drawn frame as "bait" in the now top box. They'll quickly draw out the foundation frame you've put in the bottom box, and be more encouraged to work the top box.

When adding extracting supers of foundation, after they get the first super drawn, the usual recommendation is to add the next super under the first. They don't like that empty space between them and their stores, so they'll start working on it more readily.
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
if you "bait" the box with a frame of brood from the other box, the bees will come- wherever you put it. good luck,mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts