Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Caveat: I'm brand spanking new, so this is all just a big blast. Still, I find myself going up one or twice a day to watch the bees at the hive. Sometimes I'll pop open the hatch to look through the window. Sometimes I'll just watch them buzzing around and see how many are coming in laden with pollen. Or perhaps I'll try and track their departure flights to see where they are going.

So how often is a bad sign? :)

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I didn't know there was anything but addiction when it came to bees!!! Checking often at first is good. As you go along, the bees will help you decide when too much is too much!!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I find myself watching most nights to see what color of pollen they are taking in. That might be OC but I have never been so intouch with nature since beginning beekeeping. I wonder how many of the experienced folks are still into watching the front of the hive?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
It's called "Bee fever" and has been well documented since at least the mid 1800s although you can go back in history and find many examples prior to that. I suspect it's the bees that have some kind of mind control abilities to induce people to spread them all over the earth...

·
Registered
712 Posts
I am now up to 100 hives and everywhere I go I am looking at whats blooming and where I can put my next outyard.

Which is that? I think its enthusiastic, my wife thinks crazy.:scratch:

Johnny

·
Registered
854 Posts
Amazing how the bees can get your mind off of life's problems in so short a time. Bee fever is a real blessing to those so afflicted. OMTCW

·
Registered
206 Posts
Cedar you said it! I use bees as my escape. I love bees! :)

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Hi, my name is Mike, I am a beek and by the grace of God Whom I choose to call my Higher Power I have not found it necessary to open my hive today or for the last week and for that I am grateful!:)

·
Registered
760 Posts
Haha --- we have AA meeting but we disgise them as "Bee Clubs"

i think that if you cant sleep because you are worried about your bees that would be called a " condition" !!!!

its funny how one little bug can cature so many peoples intrest!!!!!

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
You want to know worry?? I leave in 30 minutes to have a screw installed into my broken foot and have no idea how long I will be down! I hobbled out yesterday and pulled two queen cages out of my nucs and added the 5th frame just so I could at least have that done. I may have to talk my son and a friend into supering for me. Why can't I brake my foot in the winter??:D

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
HI...I am Dev, and as bad as may sound, I am addicted. I just cannot stop. My wife has threatened to burn everything if she sees me in my dirty Sherriff suit instead of sitting on the front porch watching HER READ........I know, I know....I think I need more bees......

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Mentor is just a fancy word for Sponsor.

Is it bad when you have dreams about you're hives swarming and you wake up in a cold sweat?

·
Registered
507 Posts
I swear, everywhere I go and I mean "everywhere" I'm looking for blooming trees, bushes, flowers, etc. and thinking man I wonder if I can put a hive around here somewhere?

I've got it bad. I'm going to run an experiment and see what I can do by summer's end.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hello...My name is chris and I am a addict. I have 4 soon to be 5 hives up from 1 last year. On the course I am going I will have 15 next year.

Serously though. Its a good way to just relax.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts