Had taken some video over the last spring and summer. Finally had the time to edit and upload them to YouTube. They range from cleansing flights, early spring feeding, queen cells, drones, eggs, bee sting therapy, a cut out from a fallen tree, pollen on bees and in cells, queen laying, dead mouse in hive, and another wheel bug on a hive. Here's the link:http://www.youtube.com/user/acbees
whodoctor--I use a Panasonic GS250 and Adobe Premiere 4.0 software. I made a bracket to fit on an old hardhat that I could fasten the camera to so I could film using my right eye. Kind of a homemade "helmet cam". It's little hard getting used to cause I see a different perspective from either eye and the sense of distance is screwed up. That explains why when I marked the queen she was just outside the camera view. I was so worried about hurting her I was paying more attention with my left eye than the camera eye. Maybe I'll do better next time.
Thanks for all the compliments (and the subscription), they're very much appreciated! I hope there will be more to come as the weather gets warm.
As far as the question goes, I cut those out on August 20th. It was such a terrible year for nectar production here in central Illinois, even well established feral hives had very little stores. I quit taking cutouts and trap outs in early August and started telling folks if they really cared about the bees they'd let me get the bees in the spring if they survived the winter. (I have 4 on my list). Have 2 colonies here that are in the hollow sections of tree they were established in that had to be moved, but weren't broken up. Figured they had a better chance in the log with the ends closed off than if I had tried to put them in a box. In my yard of swarms and cut outs all you had to do was spray down a few combs with sugar water in a hive to start robbing. Because this bunch had no stores I just combined them with another small bunch that had some. At this point they are still going. Can't say the same for a few of my others though.
Nice work, very clean video, easy to follow and informative.
One question: on the fallen tree cutout, any reason you didn't just shake the excess bees off the sawed-off limb directly into the hive, instead of on the sheet? Just wondering... I did a similar cut out last summer.
waling bird and earthchild,
Thanks very much for the comments.
As far as shaking them is concerned, a small reason was it would be difficult to shake them with the weight of the wood chunk they were on. The major reason was I had the time and the location to put them of the sheet and let them choose to go inside to their frames of brood on their own. Just felt it would make it more likely for them to stay in the box with less trauma.
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could
be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Beesource Beekeeping Forums
A forum community dedicated to beekeeping, bee owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about breeding, honey production, health, behavior, hives, housing, adopting, care, classifieds, and more!