Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a package a month ago and they have drawn out 9 frames in deep. I inspected them yesterday and decided to go ahead and add my first medium super. I went out today to check if they have moved up any, I am using a screened inner board and a rapid feeder this way I can look in without disturbing them to much, and they are not many bees up in the medium and not even taking any 1:1 syrup. They were all in the feeder yesterday. Also there is no queen excluder.

My question is will it take them a while to move up into the super and also to find the feeder?

Thanks,
Steve Gordy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand that they will eventually stop taking the syrup but was wondering if it just takes them a while to start taking it again after adding a medium with undrawn foundations. They were using the feeder. They have been taking almost a quart every two days since I installed them.

Thanks,
Steve Gordy

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
The feeder needs to be at the broodnest, and you've moved it a box of foundation away. Too far to daisy chain the syrup back down.

Take out a frame in the center of the super, and a frame in the center of the deep. Put the super back on with the deep frame in it. Make it an open larva frame. Put your feeder back on. Now the bees will use the feeder and draw out that super with the worms there to feed. After they get a frame drawn of medium, then you can put deep frame back down, cutting off the comb they might have built on the bottom of it, and tie that back into a medium frame. Put that medium frame back in the medium on top. Now they are started, and will feed and draw wax.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts