Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have set up a small pond area in my bee yard nice and close. Does anyone add salt or other things to the water (not sugar water) to your bees water supply?
Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
How big is your pond?

I put a few tablespoons of salt and about 1 of honey into a 5 gallon bucket. Between these additions and keeping the water warm I have been able to keep bees out of my neighbors hot tub.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I don't add anything to the water. Lawn sprinklers fill it, grass glippings get blown in, water grows scum, bees love it. I read a tip to add duckweed to the water so I'm going to give that a try.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
What @ JConnolly said. Unless you are trying to get them to avoid a neighbors pool or hot tub, do not add anything and do not clean. The skunkier the better. J

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
573 Posts
What @ JConnolly said. Unless you are trying to get them to avoid a neighbors pool or hot tub, do not add anything and do not clean. The skunkier the better. J
Ugg my dam cat does that.

When I had chickens I had a very small waterer, the red bottom kind. I put in rocks all around the inside because Bees were coming to drink out of it in the yard.
I didn't mind but the hens would eat the bees so I put it higher up where the Hens couldn't get to it.
You don't need to add anything just keep water in it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts