Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two hive, one came out of winter with a good amount of bees, but queenless. I added brood and eggs from second hive, but laying pattern was a bit spotty, looks like that queen was failing too. When back the other day to look at both hives and found that second hive while looking strong has no eggs, both hives now queenless. No problem was able to order a queen for second (stronger) hive, will be here tomorrow. I also was able to get a package, also here tomorrow. Got a package as I was not sure there were enough bees to build back up. Question is with this hive being queenless for at least a month, can I install the package on top of them, or should I do the news paper between boxes to combine them?

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
I would dump the package right on the queenless population and introduce the queen by letting the bees release her.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
If the hive has been queenless for a month it may very well be developing or have a laying worker. The bees in that hive will recognize her as the "queen" and may well kill the package queen leaving you queenless yet again. I would suggest looking closely for eggs before adding the package and not releasing the queen until you can see she has been accepted in the cage. It may be wise to do a shake out and then add the package.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I think Joel has the right idea about this. I would do as he's suggesting in this case, shake the bees off the frames in front of the hive, then install your package. If the bees aren't biting at the wire on the queen cage they have accepted her already. In that case they won't allow a laying worker back into the hive and will actually ball her and kill her off. They will allow the rest of the bees back in though without too much problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No there was not any eggs or larva, just a few older caped drone cells, and three frames of bees left, anyway did not need a shake out, I did do a paper between the two boxes with some slits to enable them to merge a little quicker. I will check Sunday and make sure queen is been release. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts