Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on the june 19 I checked the hive 8 frames drawn out with 4 frames completely filled with capped brood except for the honey around top and corners saw queen and put all frames back together moving capped honey to outside and empty frames in before adding 2nd deep I saw queen come up and them back down between frames so I know I did not roll her but during my insection on sat 6-28 I noticed that they were drawing out 2nd deep and saw that some brood had hatched but it appeared that they filled the few empty brood cells with nectar and did not see any new larva and the bees do not have any cells ready In 2nd box this is the first time I had not seen the queen as she is a jet black carnolian and very easy to spot makes me worried because she ran out of space to lay and the space she hadin the brood nest is now filled with nectar it did not seem queenless very quiet and calm so should I wait and see or purchase a new Kona queen to replace the one that might have died/got killed/left I already had a late start due to first queen dead in pacakage & 2nd queen being a drone layer so the sooner I figure this out the better advice would be greatly accepted.also no queen cups or cells have been seen

·
Registered
918 Posts
on the june 19 I checked the hive 8 frames drawn out with 4 frames completely filled with capped brood except for the honey around top and corners saw queen and put all frames back together moving capped honey to outside and empty frames in before adding 2nd deep I saw queen come up and them back down between frames so I know I did not roll her but during my insection on sat 6-28 I noticed that they were drawing out 2nd deep and saw that some brood had hatched but it appeared that they filled the few empty brood cells with nectar and did not see any new larva and the bees do not have any cells ready In 2nd box this is the first time I had not seen the queen as she is a jet black carnolian and very easy to spot makes me worried because she ran out of space to lay and the space she hadin the brood nest is now filled with nectar it did not seem queenless very quiet and calm so should I wait and see or purchase a new Kona queen to replace the one that might have died/got killed/left I already had a late start due to first queen dead in pacakage & 2nd queen being a drone layer so the sooner I figure this out the better advice would be greatly accepted.also no queen cups or cells have been seen
Is this your only hive? If you had a second hive you could steal a frame of eggs/larva and give it to the hive in question. If they need a queen you have given them the resources to make one, if they don't need a queen all you've done is boost them a little.

Are you able to see eggs? (positively able to see them) If so, you should STOP looking for the queen every time you go into the hive. Your inspections should consist of assessing how much room they have, do they need more? and seeing if there are eggs, then get the heck out of dodge. The more time you spend in a hive the greater chances of smashing the queen and the more disruption you do.

If this is your only hive, do you have a mentor who could spare a frame of eggs/larva? I'd hate for you to spend good money on another queen, only for her to be killed because yours is still there somewhere.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cannot see eggs and yes due to resourses this is my only hive I do not have a mentor I reached out to Worcester county beekeepers a month ago through email to the president for help and got no response which disappointed me a little bit because I am a PAYING member of this assoc. I think my next move is 30 mins away is my supplier and he has queens ready to go so I will check 7/2 and if no larva then I will get new queen on thurs

·
Registered
583 Posts
this is the busy season time runs short and so much to do you can order another queen and put her in a 5 frame nuc with some hatching brood with bees make shure you don't put the other queen in there or just two frames of honey with bees no eggs or larva.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts