Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, sorry if this is the wrong forum. I am new to this site and didn't know where to put it.

Now for my question. I was gone for about 4 day moving cattle last week. And of course, what happens when I get back. I noticed HUGE amounts of bees around one of my hives. I immediately knew it was robbing(Colder, early morning, very bad pollen flow) I know that colony's behavior and normally on a day like that it would be slow traffic until mid-afternoon when it was sunny and warm. I suited up and bees were dead all over, they were fighting and tumbling. So I got as many bees eating the honey in the supers out that i could and closed it up. I opened it back up at about 1 am to check the damage and I only found about 200-500 bees. about 100-300 were probably robbers I missed that were in the deeps. I checked the whole thing and found no queen. I locked the hive down completely for 3 days hoping I just missed her opened it back up 24hrs after the robbers gave up and sure enough, no queen. The robbers have joined with the few bees of the colony left. Now I am wondering If I should add a new queen and hope with 200-500 bees that they can get started back up, or if I should just wait and start that hive again next year. There is still about 50-60lbs of honey in one of the deeps, and I would have no problem feeding them over the winter if it came to that, but with a small number of bees, I would think it would be fine. I can pick up a 2019 mated queen not too far from me, but I just don't know it's worth it if there is no chance the hive could come back. What do you all think? Just let the hive die off, harvest the honey, and restart it next year? Or get a queen, hope it goes well and they can bring the hive back? Is that even possible with that small amount of bees?

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
I am assuming the ID in your screen name means Idaho. Harvest and start that hive over in the Spring. Not enough time and too few bees to make a go of this one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, thats what I was thinking. I have never had it happen before so thought it was worth a shot asking, since they would already have all the work done and honey/pollen stored. That hive wasn't my strongest, but was still around 15,000 strong when I left. I guess thinking about it, it's a strong possibility something else happened while I was gone that triggered the robber bees in the first place. Oh well, I will try and harvest the honey sometime this week, maybe leave a frame or 2 for the bees left in the hive for now and see what happens. Or possibly I'll just merge them with their original hive again.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Welcome and visit often.
No chance. After becoming known as a weak hive, double no chance.

Hope you have time to make sure your other hives do not become the next victims.

(little late took a call and hit post)

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
The combine would be the best way to go instead of letting them dwindle, the robbers’ll just keep pestering them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts