Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Bees have filled and capped two deep frames in the new five frame super on a nuc within the last week off of something that is early blooming with nectar. Not sure what it is other than maple ...But I have never tasted honey that was made this time of year. I Believe I will at least have to slash my finger through it during next inspection.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Wow, if good I would harvest a bit, seasonal varieties are great to share within a club, friends and family.

Im wondering if it is maple, the last week before cold set in my hives were going nuts, lots of pale yellow pollen, didn't check for nectar, the girls are still a little pissy.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am seeing a lot of nectar and new comb in the Atlanta area. Surprised me how much activity I saw over the weekend. Tons of brood and hives were full.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Over the past week, one of my stronger hives has been pulling out foundation and storing. I have placed 3 medium frames in a position that I can identify easily, Hopefully next weekend the frames will be caped and the family can sample red maple honey.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, if good I would harvest a bit, seasonal varieties are great to share within a club, friends and family.

Im wondering if it is maple, the last week before cold set in my hives were going nuts, lots of pale yellow pollen, didn't check for nectar, the girls are still a little pissy.
I don't know about harvesting much, This is a five frame nuc that I just put another five frames on. I am just wishful thinking but I will still probably have to taste it.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
It is not illegal, unethical or immoral for you to take honey for consumption. Your bees are hoarding honey, that is why they are kept, so you can collect that hoarded honey. You won't hurt them a bit if you just take capped frames. If they stop getting more to store, don't take anymore. If the flow dries up and they are short of stores, feed them sugar if you have to. It won't hurt them a bit.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I would be afraid to pull any from them right now. I think they are in the process of starting the "brood boom" here and they may need all they have to feed the new brood until the actual spring flow starts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts