Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased some of the deep Acorn black wax coated plastic foundation sheets. Was going to start putting them into some frames, but wanted to query you folks that use this product as to whether I should apply another coat of melted wax with a foam roller, or go with what they have on them when purchased?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I believe Acorn has a "standard" wax version and a "heavy" wax version. Like you I just bought some and it is the standard version. I am going to add some wax right before I put it in a box, because it looks as if there is barely any wax on it. If it was the heavy version, I think I would not have to do that. Next time I will get the heavy wax version.

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
I quit rolling on extra wax. It is quicker and easier to just rub a block of wax on the foundation. The roller often fills the foundation and provides a blank pallet that the bees can build anything they choose. I don't want drone comb. That's why I discarded some of the other ideas of using partial sheets of foundation.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also heard that there were two coatings, standard and heavy. I'm almost positive that at the time I placed my order that there was only one coating offered. I don't believe the two options are still available. As for rubbing a hard piece of wax on the foundation, it sure seems like it would remove rather than add to what wax is already there. I agree also that to apply hot wax with a roller would seem to fill the cell indentations. I was hoping that wouldn't be detrimental and that the bees would straighten all that out.

Can anyone who has added additional hot wax speak to the problem of filling the cell indentations and causing the bees to produce drone cells because of the excess wax?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Bees will draw the standard coat well if they are strong and have a strong flow with alot of bees at the prime age of wax production. Packages and small splits benefit from having the heavier coats. Nick and acorn foundation is the stuff.

·
Registered
473 Posts
+1 for Nick and Acorn! Great product and great service. My bees draw out Acorn standard foundation just fine but I plan to add a coat of wax this year when I can. Nancy gave me idea to use a foam "brush" rather than a roller to apply the wax. Foam brush should keep the wax on the edges where you want it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
We use Acorn heavy wax. Not enough difference dollar wise for me to want to add wax to frames. Let Acorn do it. No problem in getting it drawn. I did an experiment when trying to switch from Pierco. I checker boarded Acorn and Pierco and the bees drew out the Acorn faster. It was noticeable. Great product, great service.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts