Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Just ordered 6 thousand deeps after sampling. Way better than pierco imo. deeper cell, more precise. Bees draw them out nicely.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I haven't heard from many that have tried them. I ordered a case to try and to take a look at. If they seem decent I'll order a few more as needed. Sorry but I'm not sure from my precpective my opinion will be much value to this forum so I'll post some photos when I get them.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wandering. I had tried to order earlier and they where not available at that time. Thinking of placing a order

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Frames came.
The differences might be difficult to tell from photos.
image.jpg
image.jpg

The Pierco frame is the one that has a small amount of drawn comb. It was the best one to compare I had around. I had forgot the last batch I ordered of Pierco I ordered unwaxed.

The acorn was ordered single wax and had more wax than single wax Pierco.
Cell walls are thicker and overall the acorn seems to be a bit heavier.

The real test will be dropping a drawn out and capped full deep from waist high to see how many ears shear off.

·
Registered
776 Posts
That would be my guess also.

So the frame above with the ''A'' and the Pierco stamped on it must have been a joint venture possible. I do know that I really don't like the sides of the frames. When I have a frame feeder in things can get pretty tight and the way they slid in and out isn't good. Also the space makes a great place for wax moths to hide. What were they thinking when they decided that. Acorn claims to make a better frame well that's where I'd start. Not just copy someone idea almost exactly. Also, I'd make pass through holes in the bottom corners.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The A on the older frames is probably the indicator that they use for specifying what die the frame was formed in. Many large manufacturers use multiple dies to produce products and being able to tell what mold a.product came from is helpful when dealing with defects.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I talked to mr. lissaman today , nice guy great prices. BUT ups rates make this seem like a not so good idea to the east coast. freight of like $46 per box yikes.

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
You can nearly all bring down shipping costs a bunch by shipping surface freight and picking it up at your local terminal. Lift gate and delivery can cost an extra $100 each so get it quoted you pick up at terminal

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
I can support Vance on this one. I brought in a 15" lathe from Ohio and picked it up at the terminal, saving alot. Otherwise, it is common practice for a manufacture to work with one local freight line that gives them a good deal. Find out who that is and how you can use that to your advantage. I had a pallet of buckwheat seed shipped from ND quite reasonably by using their carrier(don't ask how much honey that pallet of seed made).

Crazy Roland

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
How much honey did that pallet of seed make, Roland?
Obviously we don't want a beekeeper run on buckwheat seed now do we? Like giving out the name of the queen producer who supplies consistent 200 lb queens year after year without fail. Somewhere a little voice inside me says the run on seeds is off as is the run on the 200 lb queens.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts