Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the packages of bees being sent this year or shipped has anyone ever tried using the acid while they are still in the shipping boxes rather than sending bees that are already with Varroa? With all the resistant strains now showing up wouldn't it be better to just wipe them out at the sorce or before they are put into the hives??

·
Registered
378 Posts
Any varroa-free hive will get varroa mites within a couple of months... can't help it. Mites get transferred by a bunch of different methods (robbing, feeding on soda cans, etc.)

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I treated all my packages(3) with OA last year before they had any capped brood, about 5 days after installing them. I'm not sure how much good it did, but they all made some honey and got split in summer. All had low mite counts in late summer, so I only had to treat the one time.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I just saw about 10 varroa mites on the bees in my observation hive. What is the safest way to get rid of them, especially since they are in my house!

Terry

·
Registered
855 Posts
Antero

you can kill the Varroa really easy in your observation hive.
Make a 3,5 % OS – 50% sugar solution and trickle 3,5 ml per comb over the bees.

How to make it? 1 liter warm water = 1000 ml and stir first 35 grams OA in till the acid is totally gone, than stir 500gr icy sugar in the mixture.
If this is too much go by 10% --- 100 ml water…….3.5 grams OA…….50grams sugar.

I wouldn’t recommend this for your colonies because the liquid acid is hard on bees but for your observation hive and inside the house this would be ok.

I hope you can work with liter and ml because I have no idea what it is in gallon and ounces.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts