Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have a die out and there is quite a bit of bee poop. I don't know if it is dysentry or nosema.

I don't have any concentrated acetic acid and would need to buy to fumigate.

Question is - Should I fumigate with acetic acid to be sure comb and supers are good/safe to reuse?

·
Registered
5,604 Posts

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>Question is do you and should I routinely fumigate with acetic acid to be sure comb and supers are good/safew to reuse?

In 40 years, the last time I fumigated a hive with acetic acid was... never. Last time I used Fumidil was... never. Would it help? I can't say. Fumidil will destroy the bacteria in the gut of the bee that protects them from Nosema... not to mention it causes birth defects in mammals...

http://www.bushfarms.com/beespests.htm#nosema

·
Registered
367 Posts
There is an older reference which recommends this but that was for nosema Apis. Nosema ceranae is killed by cold temperatures but is not known for dysentery . If you suspect Apis, no harm in fumigating the combs. I believe there are several protocols from various sources

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks MP. This colony did have some crawlers in the latter half of the summer.

After I removed the honey. I treated with Apivar and later used menthol crystals. It was getting cooler and the menthol probably didn't work as well as it could have. Tracheal mites investation may also have been too severe for the colony to make the winter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts