Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Accounting for Bee Keeping Associations

5K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  AUXCOM 
#1 ·
Does anyone have links for excel spreadsheets or a simple accounting software for Bee Associations?

I am being inducted as the treasurer....I need some resources for the legal requirements and what is needed to do this job.

Appreciated

#6 ·
I'll 3rd Quickbooks. It is not the best for generating annual invoices for your members but not too shabby. If you are like most bee clubs you are organized as an unincorporated association at the state level and a non-profit at the federal level. Most likely you will file a postcard 990 for a tax return. It has far more capabilities then you will ever use.

#7 ·
Doesn't the association have a current system for accounting that you will inherit? If it is not new, take a look at what is currently in place and augment accordingly. If the association is new, it needs to be setup and organized properly including a proper system for accounting that would be voted on by the board.

Quick books should be adequate for the needs of a beekeepers association I would think!

#9 · (Edited)
Alot depends on the number of members whether you use a spread sheet or quickbooks, or even quicken.

edit: I run my business on a spread sheet. My accountant loves it. My wife runs a antique mall and we (I) use quickbooks online for that. The self storage facility has a specialized software for running that. And it was mentioned that you can use a checkbook. It will all depend on membership and how much bookkeeping you have to do.

#10 ·
Alot depends on the number of members whether you use a spread sheet or quickbooks, or even quicken.
True, but my vote is for QB to start. It's relatively cheap and you'll never outgrow it....You'll have all the history in one spot rather than starting with a spreadsheet then later going to QB....

#13 ·
Quickbooks is not a spreadsheet. It is a powerful accounting software that will just be confusing to the layperson without an accounting background. If you don't have the background you should not set up the "company" in quickbooks. You should get an accountant to do it for you.
If your association is not over 100 members it would be silly to use quickbooks. Others may have a different opinion.

#16 ·
Quickbooks is not a spreadsheet. It is a powerful accounting software that will just be confusing to the layperson without an accounting background. If you don't have the background you should not set up the "company" in quickbooks. You should get an accountant to do it for you.
Most of these programs today are pretty self explanatory, malleable and easy to set up these days. I set up the company in Peachtree with no problem and any mistakes I made were easily fixable when spotted by my accountant. Peachtree is a step or two more powerful then QB so I would suspect more complex. I have no accounting background at all other then "Trial by Fire" by owning a business. Of course I set it up 20+ years ago when I set up my business.

I actually think these programs prevent you from making some mistakes that you might make if you're doing it on a spreadsheet. Peachtree as a ton of checks, cross checks, audits etc...if you want to use them. I just send everything to the accountant :)

~Matt

#19 ·
Most of these programs today are pretty self explanatory, malleable and easy to set up these days.
~Matt
Every once in a while I have a question for my accountant which he can't answer so he sends me to his lacky who has more experience with QB but in the end the question doesn't get answered or get solved.
I will say that you are correct with tongue in cheek.:(

#15 ·
and make a spreadsheet if needed.
I could strip out the numbers on the two spreadsheets that I use, one for business and one for checking if you want them as a boiler plate. The business one is more involved, keeping track of expenses and income calculating sales tax for filing and net gain or loss for the year. Expenses are on one page and income is on another. I almost think it is more than you need for an association though. I wouldn't think you would have that many expenses to keep track of. PM me if you want them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.