Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will absorbic acid hurt bees. the neighbors always leave fruit juice containers partially empty laying around(kids mostly) and im concerned about the bees going to the juice and drinking it. even 100% fruit juice has absorbic acid in it.
 

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
Joined
·
54,120 Posts
The solids in the juice will give the bees the runs. The ascorbic acid won't hurt them that I've ever noticed.

Mine suck the juice from the rotting pears from my pear tree when there's a dearth. Doesn't seem to hurt them any.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
929 Posts
ascorbic acid will just invert some of the sugars in whatever "mixture" the acid is in. It makes sugar syrup more like nectar in small dosages. I don't endorse or condemn it, but it sure does help the bees decide that the sugar syrup is better.

------------------
Scot Mc Pherson
Foundationless Small Cell Top Bar Hives
BeeWiki: <A HREF="http://linuxfromscratch.org/~scot/beewiki/" TARGET=_blank>
http://linuxfromscratch.org/~scot/beewiki/</A>
Pics:
http://linuxfromscratch.org/~scot/pics/bees/
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top